Love Is Not Enough To Sustain A Happy Marriage
Love is NOT enough to sustain a happy marriage. The reason why is because as time goes on, there will be days that you do not feel in love. In fact, there may be days that you actually find your mate annoying, or days where you simply don’t like them a lot. During these times, you need to have something else in place, besides love, for you to have marriage success. So here are the top 5 things, outside of love, that you need to have to maintain a long-lasting, happy marriage.
- A strong belief in your commitment to the marriage. Your conviction to adhere to your commitment will help you ride through the tough times.
- If you say you’re going to do it, actually DO IT! Also, make sure that the person you portray yourself to be in public, is the same person that you are “behind closed doors”.
- Mutual respect for one another, where you are not partaking in actions that can be deemed disrespectful or demeaning to one another.
- Good communication. Articulate any concerns you have and talk through any disagreements.
- A strong sense of morality, as it relates to the marriage, where you make good decisions within the marriage that are morally and ethically sound.
Now, you may not have all of these things already in place, but it’s important that you start making an effort towards strengthening these attributes. As the saying goes, “Rome wasn’t built in a day”. In other words, you will not be able to perfect these skills overnight, but be steadfast in your quest to do so and understand that it may take considerable time and effort to accomplish. If you miss the mark, don’t beat yourself up, just dust yourself off and make a new attempt, and never stop trying.